Re: Cast Iron

  • mz1773@havilandtelco.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2000
      Go to this site and ask about coke. They don't have it now, but they
      can get coke and are willing to sell to hobby casters and they will
      sell it in a bag.

      http://www.dimetek.com/Home/home.html

      This is the first place I have found that has coke that I may be able
      to purchase. I haven't found a source locally. Maybe if we start
      buying coke from them they will be a reliabe source.

      Marvin

    • JBraun7747@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2000
        In a message dated 11/1/00 2:50:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        mz1773@... writes:

        > dimetek.com/Home/home.html

        I'll give it a try
        Thanks,
        Jerry in Spokane

      • Marvin
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 6, 2001
          How much should I allow for shrinkage on cast iron parts? I have
          cast some aluminum but nothing important so I never worry about
          shrinkage.

          But now I am designing patterns for all the cast parts for a 3/8"
          scale Waterloo Boy tractor and shrinkage is important.

          I have been trying to build a home hobby machine shop but the weather
          is just too hot to work outside for long so I have been playing with
          a QuickCad program trying to learn how to do drafting on my puter
          and design some patterns. Draft is no problem if I scale the parts
          down correctically as they already have plenty of draft.

          If it ever cools down and I get the shop finished I will build my gas
          fired foundry and try some cast iorn casting.

          I am finding that having fun and trying to keep busy now that I am
          retired is a lot of work, but it's fun, no Boss watching over my
          sholder.

          Marvin
        • Cathy & Jim Kreter
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 6, 2001
            > How much should I allow for shrinkage on cast iron parts?

            one eighth inch per foot larger for a shrink rule for cast or malleable
            iron.

            > I have cast some aluminum but nothing important so I never worry about
            > shrinkage.
            >
            > But now I am designing patterns for all the cast parts for a 3/8"
            > scale Waterloo Boy tractor and shrinkage is important.
            >
            > I have been trying to build a home hobby machine shop but the weather
            > is just too hot to work outside for long so I have been playing with
            > a QuickCad program trying to learn how to do drafting on my puter
            > and design some patterns. Draft is no problem if I scale the parts
            > down correctically as they already have plenty of draft.
            >
            > If it ever cools down and I get the shop finished I will build my gas
            > fired foundry and try some cast iorn casting.

            Was'nt too hot today, just 'bout 100 f.

            > I am finding that having fun and trying to keep busy now that I am
            > retired is a lot of work, but it's fun, no Boss watching over my
            > sholder.
            >
            > Marvin

            regards,
            Jim
          • Gerald Braun
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 6, 2001
              I'll be retired in 16 months and I can't wait. Heat won't matter as I'm way
              up north around the 45th parallel.
              Jerry in Spokane

              http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
              > It includes member project pages & links

            • Ray Brandes
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                Marvin,
                Where are you that it is so hot?
                -Ray, in Florida

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                  Thanks Jim,

                  I have seen this posted many times but I forgot how much shrinkage to
                  allow for cast iron.

                  Ray in Florida ask where I live, I'm in Kansas. Always hot here in
                  Summer but this year it's been 100 to 104 degrees for weeks. I think
                  we are breaking records for heat this year.

                • Stefan_Pfaff@web.de
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                    Hi,

                    for shrinkage on cast iron you have to allow 1%, for cast steel you
                    need 2%, for aluminum 1,25% and for bronce 1,5%.
                    for example: for a part 10,00 inches long in cast iron you need to
                    make a pattern 10,01 inches long.

                    Greetings from the southern but not so hot part of germany

                    Stefan

                  • richard@spellingbusiness.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                      Wouldn't 101% of 10.00 inches be 10.10 inches? and not 10.01 (10,01)?

                      --- In hobbicast@y..., Stefan_Pfaff@w... wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > for shrinkage on cast iron you have to allow 1%, for cast steel
                      you
                      > need 2%, for aluminum 1,25% and for bronce 1,5%.
                      > for example: for a part 10,00 inches long in cast iron you need to
                      > make a pattern 10,01 inches long.
                      >
                      > Greetings from the southern but not so hot part of germany
                      >
                      > Stefan
                      >

                      > --- In hobbicast@y..., "Marvin" <mz1773@h...> wrote:
                      > > How much should I allow for shrinkage on cast iron parts? I have
                      > > cast some aluminum but nothing important so I never worry about
                      > > shrinkage.
                      > >
                      > > But now I am designing patterns for all the cast parts for a 3/8"
                      > > scale Waterloo Boy tractor and shrinkage is important.
                      > >
                      > > I have been trying to build a home hobby machine shop but the
                      > weather
                      > > is just too hot to work outside for long so I have been playing
                      > with
                      > > a QuickCad program trying to learn how to do drafting on my
                      puter
                      > > and design some patterns. Draft is no problem if I scale the
                      parts
                      > > down correctically as they already have plenty of draft.
                      > >
                      > > If it ever cools down and I get the shop finished I will build my
                      > gas
                      > > fired foundry and try some cast iorn casting.
                      > >
                      > > I am finding that having fun and trying to keep busy now that I
                      am
                      > > retired is a lot of work, but it's fun, no Boss watching over my
                      > > sholder.
                      > >
                      > > Marvin
                    • Geoff
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 7, 2001
                        hi, i'm in Crystal River, Fl. Where are you? Just geoff <><

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • dragonpit@home.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                          100 to 104 thats just normal here north Texas
                          I don't even run a air-conditioner
                          I grow up on a farm here with out air, picking
                          squash ever day all summer. Sorry this is sort
                          of a rant by people that complain about the heat
                          bug me, get out of your sealed environment and your
                          body will learn to live in the real world.

                          Henry

                          --- In hobbicast@y..., "Marvin" <mz1773@h...> wrote:
                          > Thanks Jim,
                          >
                          > I have seen this posted many times but I forgot how much shrinkage
                          > allow for cast iron.
                          >
                          > Ray in Florida ask where I live, I'm in Kansas. Always hot here in
                          > Summer but this year it's been 100 to 104 degrees for weeks.
                        • LLandstrom
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                            When I lived in Texas, 104 degrees wasen't nothing
                            because they didn't have the humidity. Also Texas does
                            not have the temperature extremes we have in the
                            Midwest, when was the last time you had -30 deg
                            weather down there which lasted for weeks, sometimes
                            months?

                            We just had a tornado, lots of rain, and it got up to
                            102 degrees yesterday. Now I'm not complaining but
                            when some Texass tells me about being a puss because
                            of the weather, i'LL tell him where to go. We had two
                            guys go down on the job-site yesterday due to heat
                            stroke, one was a Mexican from texas incidentally. And
                            he is a hard working SOB who never complains. It's
                            damn hot and humid here.

                            LL
                            Here I sit
                            Cheeks a flexin
                            Givin birth to
                            another Texan

                            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                          • LLandstrom
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                              Dale,

                              I'm in Moorhead MN. And work around Fargo ND. We had a
                              110 mph wind last night that pretty near wiped out the
                              town of Hillsboro ND. Nat'l Guard is mobilized. We
                              also had 3" hail in another place.

                              I don't mean to get down on anyone but it's pretty hot
                              and humid everywhere I guess.

                              We do heavy construction on contracts which are
                              completion date, working day or calendar day based. So
                              weather dosen't mean anything. Still need to got the
                              work done.

                              When I was in Florida, I couldn't believe how slow
                              highway work was performed. I guess they got all year
                              to get it finished. We've got about a 5 month window
                              to get everything finished.

                              Speaking of this area, is anyone going to the Herman
                              MN Iron Pour next weekend? last year they had 4
                              cupolettes running at the same time.

                              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                            • Dale Smith
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                                > When I lived in Texas, 104 degrees wasen't nothing
                                > because they didn't have the humidity.

                                Must have been in west Texas. Scott lives in the laplands... Where Oklahoma
                                laps over into Texas. (AKA Baja Oklahoma) The rule here is Humidity=Temp-10

                                Also Texas does not have the temperature extremes we have in the Midwest,
                                when was the last time you had -30 deg weather down there which lasted for
                                weeks, sometimes months?

                                I am most happy to let you hold title to that honor.

                                > We just had a tornado, lots of rain, and it got up to 102 degrees
                                yesterday.

                                Don't go tryin' to out-twister me. Remember, I am in Oklahoma. 20 miles
                                north of the National Severe storms lab. This is where they wrote the book
                                and made the movie.

                                Now I'm not complaining but when some Texass tells me about being a puss
                                because
                                of the weather, i'LL tell him where to go. We had two guys go down on the
                                job-site yesterday due to heat stroke, one was a Mexican from texas
                                incidentally. And he is a hard working SOB who never complains. It's damn
                                hot and humid here.

                                Truly sorry to hear about that. I think 9 have died in OK so far and that is
                                way too many. More tragicaly, most of them were at home at the time. many
                                were old, without A/C and some didn't even have fans. I feel sorry for
                                anyone who has to work outside in this kind of weather. Technology that can
                                keep an astronaut warm/cool in space should be able to come up with
                                something that can combat the extremes in temp some people must function
                                under.

                                I think the problem is much worse than it was 40 years ago. Very few had
                                A/C. Working in the heat wasn't so bad because it was just as hot inside as
                                out and we were more conditioned to it. HS football practise went on as
                                usual and they didn't even allow water breaks. The belief was that water was
                                bad for you during extreme physical exertion. I slept on the front porch
                                many nights just in case a breeze came along. Now, I haven't been to the
                                shed in three days because my little window unit can't keep it cool enough.

                                A couple of weeks ago, we thought Fall was here... but it was just 24%
                                humidity instead of the usual 74%. A couple of years ago, I went to Phoenix
                                to pick up some equipment. It was 104/68 here and I couldn't walk to the car
                                without a near death experience. In Phoenix, it was 106/16. We worked
                                outside loading a trailer all day and thought it was great weather. My
                                friends from St. Louis tell me this feels like Phoenix to them :o)

                                BTW Where are you?

                                Dale Smith

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                                  I thought you were in Montana or Utah?

                                  How north?
                                  wdsmith

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                                    > I'm in Moorhead MN. And work around Fargo ND. We had a
                                    > 110 mph wind last night that pretty near wiped out the
                                    > town of Hillsboro ND. Nat'l Guard is mobilized. We
                                    > also had 3" hail in another place.
                                    > I don't mean to get down on anyone but it's pretty hot
                                    > and humid everywhere I guess.

                                    Come to Oklahoma. We can give you the same weather adventures with 8% less
                                    humidity

                                    > We do heavy construction on contracts which are
                                    > completion date, working day or calendar day based. So
                                    > weather dosen't mean anything. Still need to got the
                                    > work done.
                                    >
                                    > When I was in Florida, I couldn't believe how slow
                                    > highway work was performed. I guess they got all year
                                    > to get it finished. We've got about a 5 month window
                                    > to get everything finished.

                                    Again, come to Oklahoma. The I-40 - I-35 junction has been under
                                    re-construction for 10 years! It was only supposed to take 8 years but there
                                    is no end in sight. I expect it to be completed by grandchildren of the
                                    original workers.

                                    > Speaking of this area, is anyone going to the Herman
                                    > MN Iron Pour next weekend? last year they had 4
                                    > cupolettes running at the same time.

                                    Sounds like a blast (Punny?) Wish I could be there and see it. I still have
                                    a LOT to learn and watching is one of the best ways. I went to a 1 day
                                    blacksmith seminar earlier this year. Been trying to do it on my own for
                                    years. If I had a dollar for every time I said "Aw shit! So that's the way
                                    it's done!" I could buy a new anvil.

                                    BTW: I hope you are well compensated. I don't see how they could pay too
                                    much for working in that heat and humidity.

                                    "You can put on enough clothes to keep warm but taking off enough to stay
                                    cool can get you arrested." .... W. D. Smith

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 8, 2001
                                      Henry,
                                      I grew up in NJ and we did'nt have AC. We had two big whole house fans in the attic that were turned
                                      on during hot nights. We had a public lake to swim in a couple of miles from home. It got hot there,
                                      but not as hot nor for as long as it does here in the south. I spent the last seven years near
                                      Atlanta, GA and now we are closing on our first year in the Florida panhandle. Last week I demolished
                                      a flat-roofed lean-to that was rotting on the side of our pole barn. The next day I re-framed it, this
                                      time the roof had some pitch. The following day I re-tinned it using five old pieces that weren't
                                      rusted out and six new pieces. Got our fire wood under it just in time as Barry dropped 2-1/2" on us.
                                      It is not impossible to work in heat and humidity. Go slower, wear a broad-brimmed hat, drink lots of
                                      water. (If you arn't peeing, you arn't drinking enough water.) I was amazed at my productivity in
                                      spite of the conditions. I guess my body is getting used to the 'real world'.
                                      -Ray