Lost Foam Experimenting

  • James Kearns
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2002
      Hi All,

      I've been getting pretty good results from Styrofoam and virtually dry
      molding sand. But I collected some plain old beach sand to give it try.
      It was impossible to cut a spru in the beach sand so I put in a ceramic
      spru and tried that. The casting turned out like shit !
      You could see rippily waves on the casting where the sand had been
      pushed along by the molten metal. The top of the casting was in pretty
      bad shape, with a lot of sand movement. Venting was a problem too, with
      the metal gently bubbling away after pouring. My molding sand is
      obviously a lot more porous than the beach sand.
      A plaster shell and proper vents would fix a lot of this up, but I
      thought I'd just share my results with anyone interested.

      Cheers Jim Kearns