Lost Foam Experimenting
- Hi All,
I've been getting pretty good results from Styrofoam and virtually dry
molding sand. But I collected some plain old beach sand to give it try.
It was impossible to cut a spru in the beach sand so I put in a ceramic
spru and tried that. The casting turned out like shit !
You could see rippily waves on the casting where the sand had been
pushed along by the molten metal. The top of the casting was in pretty
bad shape, with a lot of sand movement. Venting was a problem too, with
the metal gently bubbling away after pouring. My molding sand is
obviously a lot more porous than the beach sand.
A plaster shell and proper vents would fix a lot of this up, but I
thought I'd just share my results with anyone interested.
Cheers Jim Kearns