Re: [hobbicast] Myths

  • mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2000
      Mike Martin mdmart@...
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <DEATHSTARR54@...>
      To: <hobbicast@egroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2000 11:35 AM
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Myths

      > Bob, You have to mix, mold and pour green-sand molds in the same day? That
      is
      > a myth. I keep my sand in a plastic container ready to go, after shake-out
      > let the sand cool for about an hour. Then add a few cups of water and mix
      > around a little with my hands and throw it back in the plastic container.
      > only mull the sand about 3 or 4 times a year and mold with it every other
      > day. Once I made a large mold and let it sit for a week, came out just
      fine.
      > Another time I made a mold, put it in a pickup truck, drove to another
      state,
      > drove back in the rain, let it sit for a week, then put it in my car and
      took
      > it to an art show, casting came out sweet! The second time I tried the
      cup,
      > spoon, saucer I ran out of propane. So I put the mold in my car and drove
      the
      > bumpy road to work and poured it there, the mold held together very well,
      no
      > crush at all. Hard to control the mix with green sand? Proper clay content
      is
      > the key, ( I use 15%+), then you just have to control the water content.
      No
      > sand lasts forever? Bentonite begins to break down at 1400 degrees and
      loose
      > it's binding properties, if you pour only aluminum at 1375 degrees then it
      > theoretically could last forever. I don't know everything, but what I do
      > know, I understand. Hey James, when you make small castings use a fine
      facing
      > sand. I have 3/8 inch times roman plastic letters for $15 a 100 piece set.
      > Later Dudes, Steve in Spokane

      I'll take two sets of these letters if you will send me your mailing
      address. Personal check ok?
      Mike.

      http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm

    • DEATHSTARR54@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2000
        Bob, You have to mix, mold and pour green-sand molds in the same day? That is
        a myth. I keep my sand in a plastic container ready to go, after shake-out I
        let the sand cool for about an hour. Then add a few cups of water and mix
        around a little with my hands and throw it back in the plastic container. I
[...]
      • Robert Grauman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2000
          > Bob, You have to mix, mold and pour green-sand molds in the same day? That
          is
          > a myth.

          Definitely a myth. Last fall, the cold weather caught me, and I left a
          rammed up mould in my foundry all winter in a frozen state. I opened it up
          this spring, brushed out a couple of loose grains, and poured a good
          casting. I have noted that frozen green sand is very different stuff. It
          has no strength at all, and crumbles very easily. I don't think it would be
          advisable to pour into a frozen mould. (These are considerations when you
          live in a cold climate.)

          Robert Grauman in Sunny Alberta