Re: [hobbicast ) muller

  • Foundryman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2000
      Marvin, I noticed that you mentioned my 'old muller'. If I can be of
      help--holler!

      Best, Jerry in Missouri
      Custom Castings by Twaddell
      foundryman@...
      http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
    • mz1773@havilandtelco.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2000
        Hi Jerry,

        The muller looks very good. I have an old gear box and motor I can
        use. How heavy is the outter case of the muller? Is 16 gauge heavy
        enough, or would 1/8" steel be better? How close do the rotor tiller
        tines come to the outter case? Is the motor reverable so you
        can run it one way to crush the sand mix, and the other way to lift
        and fluff the sand. Any info will be much appreciated as it will
        save me a lot of time, no sence reinventing the thing when you
        allready know how to make one. I was searching for mullers one day
        and found yours.

        Your not too far from me, I'm in Kansas. I intend to go to
        Springfeild Missouri sometime next year after I retire. There is a
        Grizzly show room there. I am going to get one of their 12 x 36
        lathes and a knee mill.

        Marvin

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
          Marvin, regarding my home built muller and in answer to your questions:
          The case was made from 16 gage sheet. You definitely want the motor to be
          reversible so that you can MULL--make your own new Petrobond facing sand at
          about a 1/4 load--the tines force the sand down in a squeezing action. But
          in the other direction, the tines lift and fluff which is adequate unless
          you are adding oil or new binder. In the fluff direction, I could fill the
          muller at least half full--less drag on the motor and gears. The tines came
          within 1/8" of the case when new. You mentioned that you were going to
          Springfield, MO to visit Grizzly. I have several Grizzly products and love
          the band saw that I bought last year. If time permits, stop by, I'm about
          3-4 hours west of Springfield.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
            Thanks for the info. I intend to use petro bond sand and I will
            build a muller like yours. I buy things the machine shop were I work
            that they are going to sell for scrap and I have most of the
            componets to build one. Allways knew I would need that stuff some
            day.

            Marvin

            --- In hobbicast@egroups.com, "Foundryman" <foundryman@i...> wrote:
            > Marvin, regarding my home built muller and in answer to your
            questions:
            > The case was made from 16 gage sheet. You definitely want the
            motor to be
            > reversible so that you can MULL--make your own new Petrobond facing
            sand at
            > about a 1/4 load--the tines force the sand down in a squeezing
            action. But
            > in the other direction, the tines lift and fluff which is adequate
            unless
            > you are adding oil or new binder. In the fluff direction, I could
            fill the
            > muller at least half full--less drag on the motor and gears. The
            tines came
            > within 1/8" of the case when new. You mentioned that you were
            going to
            > Springfield, MO to visit Grizzly. I have several Grizzly products
            and love
            > the band saw that I bought last year. If time permits, stop by,
            I'm about
            > 3-4 hours west of Springfield.
            >
            > Best, Jerry in Missouri
            > Custom Castings by Twaddell
            > foundryman@i...
            > http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
          • Rupert Wenig
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
              Gees, Marvin It's good to see that I am not the only one who can't stand
              seeing all that good stuff going to the wild blue yonder.:-)
              Rupert

              mz1773@... wrote:

              > Thanks for the info. I intend to use petro bond sand and I will
              > build a muller like yours. I buy things the machine shop were I work
              > that they are going to sell for scrap and I have most of the
              > componets to build one. Allways knew I would need that stuff some
              > day.
              >
              > Marvin
              >
              > --- In hobbicast@egroups.com, "Foundryman" <foundryman@i...> wrote:
              > > Marvin, regarding my home built muller and in answer to your
              > questions:
              > > The case was made from 16 gage sheet. You definitely want the
              > motor to be
              > > reversible so that you can MULL--make your own new Petrobond facing
              > sand at
              > > about a 1/4 load--the tines force the sand down in a squeezing
              > action. But
              > > in the other direction, the tines lift and fluff which is adequate
              > unless
              > > you are adding oil or new binder. In the fluff direction, I could
              > fill the
              > > muller at least half full--less drag on the motor and gears. The
              > tines came
              > > within 1/8" of the case when new. You mentioned that you were
              > going to
              > > Springfield, MO to visit Grizzly. I have several Grizzly products
              > and love
              > > the band saw that I bought last year. If time permits, stop by,
              > I'm about
              > > 3-4 hours west of Springfield.
              > >
              > > Best, Jerry in Missouri
              > > Custom Castings by Twaddell
              > > foundryman@i...
              > > http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/

              > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here: http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
              > It includes member project pages & links

              yvt

              Rupert Wenig
              RR.2, Box 1 Building an uniflow engine
              Camrose, Alberta, Canada Bore 1.25"
              T4V 2N1 Stroke 1.5"
              rwenig@... Flywheel dia. 5"
              http://www.cable-lynx.net/~rwenig/index.html
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2000
                Jerry,

                Using a muller is great and is the preferred way to mix petro-bond. Years
                ago I built a small plaster mixer and used it for many years to mix my
                petro-bond. Worked fine. Used plaster mixers are not too hard to find and
                are usually cheap. Sand blast all the plaster off, replace the vinyl
                sweepers and you're in business.

                Jim Clary