Al cans

  • Ray Brandes
    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 24, 2002
      All my early work was done using cans. I found that hammering them into
      a tight chunk allowed me to put 4 or 5 in my 3" pipe cap crucible. These
      were melted in an electric kiln. Smoke is right about the smoke (thus
      his nick name) and the dross. However, the castings came out great and
      took a very nice polish.
      These days I use 6061 chips from the shop. I put a #30 crucible in my
      furnace and just keep dumping in the chips until the level gets high
      then I do a dip-out into ingot molds. Last session yielded 75 lbs of
      ingots.
      The job I am doing now removes 70% of the metal so I decided early to
      reclaim the scrap. Before I started I cleaned the machine compleatly and
      the floor all around got swept and vacuumed. Now everything I picked up
      would be aluminum chips. I have 3 pails of the stuff so far to add to my
      stockpile. I may never have to buy scrap again!
      Ray in FLA

      Smoke wrote:

      > DO NOT toss in soft drink cans!!!!!
      >
      > I melted a whole !#$%^%^pot full of them last summer. They put off a lot of
      > smoke from the burning paint, and you'll get way to much dross and garbage
    • Steven DePhillips
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 7, 2012
        About 3-4 months ago in Georgia they passed a law that the scrap yards can only pay in check after making a copy of your drivers licence and licence plate numbers. But the big thing is you cant scrap any AC units without an HVAC licence, large quantity's of copper pipes without a Plumbing licence and large quantity's of copper wire without an being an Electrician. They say it is to stop copper theft.