7157Re: [hobbicast] RTV mold Process, Nice work Ray!

  • Ray Brandes
    Oct 1, 2001
      Katou,
      RTV is available all over the place. Just search on RTV or click my link to Silicones, Inc. near the
      top of the page. I think Swest has it also. For casting a hand, check with Marcelo for his technique
      on making living molds. You will need something that sets a lot faster than RTV for a hand (unless it
      is from a cadaver!).
      Another technique is to use clear silicone and cast the entire part in one pour. When the rubber is
      set you cut the halves apart, almost to the end, with a razor. The irregular slashes of the razor
      make keys to keep the alignment and where they remain joined at the end acts like a hinge and keeps
      them from getting separated.
      Regards, Ray