5496Re: Cast Iron

  • Stefan_Pfaff@web.de
    Aug 7, 2001
      Hi,

      for shrinkage on cast iron you have to allow 1%, for cast steel you
      need 2%, for aluminum 1,25% and for bronce 1,5%.
      for example: for a part 10,00 inches long in cast iron you need to
      make a pattern 10,01 inches long.

      Greetings from the southern but not so hot part of germany

      Stefan

      --- In hobbicast@y..., "Marvin" <mz1773@h...> wrote:
      > How much should I allow for shrinkage on cast iron parts? I have
      > cast some aluminum but nothing important so I never worry about
      > shrinkage.
      >
      > But now I am designing patterns for all the cast parts for a 3/8"
      > scale Waterloo Boy tractor and shrinkage is important.
      >
      > I have been trying to build a home hobby machine shop but the
      weather
      > is just too hot to work outside for long so I have been playing
      with
      > a QuickCad program trying to learn how to do drafting on my puter
      > and design some patterns. Draft is no problem if I scale the parts
      > down correctically as they already have plenty of draft.
      >
      > If it ever cools down and I get the shop finished I will build my
      gas
      > fired foundry and try some cast iorn casting.
      >
      > I am finding that having fun and trying to keep busy now that I am
      > retired is a lot of work, but it's fun, no Boss watching over my
      > sholder.
      >
      > Marvin
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic