43061Re: [hobbicast] Has anyone tried to...

  • StoneTool
    Aug 13, 2014
      There are die grinder burrs made specially for aluminum that are solid carbide, and have fluting designed specifically to cut aluminum without clogging.  They generally have spiral flutes rather than the straight cutting edges on a router bit.  The RPM is the same.   Wear eye protection!!    That said, I have cut aluminum many times using carbide tipped saws blades as well as ordinary router bits.  The die grinder burrs are better.

                                                                                                                                  Howard

      On 08/13/2014 07:26 PM, Matthew Tinker mattinker@... [hobbicast] wrote:
      Yes , it works very well! You have to hold tight and take small cuts.

      Regards, Matthew

      Matthew TINKER
      CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
      http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519

      On Thursday, 14 August 2014, 2:36, "Malcolm Parker-Lisberg mparkerlisberg@... [hobbicast]" <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Lance

      Works for steel, so aluminium is no problem, see:
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ULx8iNt_U>

      Malcolm

      Subject: [hobbicast] Has anyone tried to...
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 12:32 AM

      Has anyone tried to work 6061 or cast
      aluminum with a
      woodworker’s router and carbide bits ?

      Slotting or edge shaping with profile bits or pin routing ?

      lance
      ++++

      check out these two affiliated sites:

      List Owner: