      From: StoneTool owly@... [hobbicast] <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 00:10:21 -0000 (UTC)
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Mikey re Vortex Burner

      I've built 5 of your
      burners.........the larger ones, and they work great............
      Thanks for a good design and a good book!

                              Howard

      On 06/23/2014 11:07 AM, michael.a.porter@... [hobbicast]
      wrote:
      Lance,
      I had zero luck opening the video because: One, I'm an
      ignorant old metal worker who needed night classes just to use a
      computer at all, and; two, I wasted about two grand on a brand
      new computer with a Windows Eight operating system. Do you know
      what single virtue Eight has? It makes Vista look good in
      comparison! I don't really need to see the videos, because your
      description tells me all that seeing the videos would. Only
      videos of working burners tell much of value; then, I can see if
      something needs a little tweaking, or if the burner is already
      set perfectly.
      I have changed a few things on this burner:
      (1) I'm using a 1/4" copper tube, because it allows anyone to
      solder a MIG contact tip in place, and provides a better gas
      feed.
      (2) The plate thickness is upped to 3/8" because it can be
      ordered as flat bar, which is much cheaper than plate.
      Your burner's symptoms sound very much like lack of gas volume
      to the burner, which puts you in a "catch twenty two";
      lower pressure just aggravates the problem, but trying to
      overcome the lack of volume with feed higher pressure will over
      accelerate the gas molecules, messing up proper mixing.
      The problem is that so many things, or combination of things,
      which won't be obvious to see in a video, can cause your
      problems (ex. a bit of solder where it doesn't belong in the gas
      feed, or some other constriction; nozzle overhang not set right;
      poor seal, or obstruction in fan to mounting plate, or mounting
      plate to funnel opening).
      We will either have to go over every single detail (with
      photos) by email, or I'll need to check the burner out "hands
      on." I know that mailing it is expensive and inconvenient;
      reworking a burner isn't cheap or easy for me either; I don't
      make the offer lightly.
      Either solution might be a lot of work for both of us; on the
      other hand, have you had a better offer lately?
      My wife will be home from Europe next week, and with her help
      I can get a video of my own 1" Vortex burner running. My buddy
      Gene should be back from his RV road trip in time to help me
      make a video, if she can't help enough. That doesn't mean such a
      video will necessarily  do you any good. Mostly, it will prove
      that the burner design does work, but that is no help in
      pinpointing some particular problem, which may not be obvious.
      Things are actually much better for you than they seem,
      because when a burner is running so badly, the solution is
      usually a simple fix; isn't that ironic? It's the burners that
      are running weakly that usually need a complete rebuild (or a
      trash can).
      Mikey

      The
      shallow bell and the deeper bell you sent will not
      light,
      even at 15 psi gas pressure. Their
      video is on Google drive. The flame is burning back into
      the mixing tube.

      Tonight I got the custom made bell to light at 5
      psi, but the flame is weak

      and very yellow even up to 15 psi. The fan is
      running full tilt, but the flame

      appears to be oxygen starved.

      With my venturi aspirated burners, I run about 8
      psi with no trouble.

      What are the parameters with the vortex?

      Where is a good place to upload the videos so you
      can see what's happening?

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic