42983Re: [hobbicast] Ideas Needed

  • StoneTool
    Feb 17 9:39 AM
      I just called the steel yard to price the pieces to do this project and
      discovered the following:

      6 pieces: 1/2" plate circles 53" ID (estimated size), with a 3" center
      hole: $2440.28
      6 pieces: 3/8" plate circles 53" ID (estimated size), with a 3" center
      hole: $1835.50
      6 pieces: 3" cold roll shaft 30" long ($624 per 20' length + $60
      cut charge) $684.00

      Total $4959.78

      Looking at this, I find that I can run full length shaft in each one for
      $ 624 * 3 = $ 1872

      This eliminates the need for the inner plates, giving a total cost of
      $ 4312.28

      It would require some spokes in the middle for stability, but that cost
      would be fairly minimal. The advantage being that with a solid shaft
      all the way through, alignment on the bearings would be pretty darn
      accurate. The other advantage is eliminating about half the
      welding.......... greatly reducing labor. It's a win win situation!

      Howard
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic