42982Re: [hobbicast] Ideas Needed

  • StoneTool
    Feb 17, 2014
          You beat me to that one ;-) ..............   I've worked on machinery and vehicles for over 40 years, and I've seen a lot of vehicles freeze through the stupidity of putting water in them.   You don't do that at any time of year in Montana......... It gets forgotten and you've lost a lot of money compared to a bit of antifreeze.

          I have yet to see an engine with straight water in it freeze, and be saved by the plugs popping out.... It's not what they're for, and they don't work for that.   With a weak solution, they will pop out and allow the slush to drain out.......... with straight water the block will break every time.

      On 02/17/2014 09:47 AM, Matthew Tinker wrote:
      I wouldn't bother with the plugs, they won't stop it happening again. The engine plugs are to fill casting holes, they pop with frost, letting out the water sometimes.  The only way to protect from freezing is to drain them (unless you are very wealthy and put antifreeze in!)

      Regards, Matthew
      Matthew TINKER
      CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log

      On Monday, 17 February 2014, 17:25, StoneTool <owly@...> wrote:
      The rollers are 54" diameter 1/2" wall thickness......... I doubt
      that denting the tires in will be an issue as they are trailerhouse
      tires, and designed to be pumped up to 100 psi.

      One good suggestion was the weld short spokes to the rim so I can
      hand turn easily, and mount the mig gun......... The problem with this
      would be that the rollers will probably walk one way or the other, so
      the gun position would have to be adjusted frequently. I love the idea
      of mounting the gun and turning the pipe though. Of course the
      solution to walking would be to discover which direction the pipe want's
      to screw itself and make your mount with a follower that would simply
      push the gun back as the pipe worked toward it. I'll probably end up
      hand turning and hand welding.

      I unfortunately will not be able to get a kid to help...... I'm on
      my own with this one.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic