42977Re: [hobbicast] Ideas Needed

  • Rupert
    Feb 17, 2014
      Hello Howard,
      You didn't say what the dia. of the rollers is so I assume they are
      similar to the rollers I see around here- about 30" dia. I think you
      will find each roller is heavy enough so that it will indent the tires
      enough to make turning not easy.
      In any case, the suggestion is already made to get help to rotate the
      pipe is a good one.
      I think it will take at least a 3/4HP electric motor to turn the pipe
      if you go that route. A 1/4hp motor won't cut it unless you have a good
      gear reduction. Slipping a belt around the pipe and using a 2" pulley on
      the motor will give you a reduction of 15:1. Rig up to hang the motor
      from it's own weight on a long plank under the pipe for tension.
      At least that is what I would try. Also practice a bit on the welder if
      your not familiar with it's operation.

      Waiting to hear what other suggestions appear.
      Rupert

      --

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig