      From: Dennis <volcom7114@...>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:02:36 -0000 (UTC)
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] "J" type sprue

      Very cool pics would be great I'm somewhat new to the back yard foundry stuff but been around a machine shop/gun smithing all my life and I got hurt some years back (nerve damage from my legs down to the feet) so now my machine shop is my full time hobby along with being a full time stay at home dad never missed working so much in my life tho for sure but anyway I built two furnaces one large it can hold up to a #40 crucible and the other much small able to hold a # 10 crucible my large furnace is a waste oil burner and the small runs on LPG but I would love to make a smaller waste oil burner for it but have not been successful in making a GOOD smaller burner for some reason I guess I just have to keep playing but I'm interested in your build I love making my own tools:)
      Dennis

      On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:19 PM, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:

      I'm building a CNC router table with a crazy idea of busing only

      aluminum castings in the construction. The casting I'm working on now is

      the end plate of the main frame. It measures 10" x 26" with most of the

      centre cut out. I used webs in the pattern for strengthening and to cut

      down on weight. This casting tests my crucible to the max limit as it

      weighs 11 lbs. There are only three areas that need machining. The

      measure roughly 2" x 4". I suppose I could turn the pattern over placing

      it in the cope but that would mean building a new higher cope. Don't

      really want to do that as the complete flask filled with rammed sand

      weighs 200 lbs or more already. Placing the pattern in the drag means

      the areas to be machined are on the bottom. That is why I thought to try

      a "J" type (or horn) sprue.

      I'll try to put up some pictures tomorrow.

      Rupert

      --

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig