42935Re: [hobbicast] Aluminum porosity

  • Dan Brewer
    Dec 11, 2013
      To add to what Rupert stated. add a little copper to the melt. Strip some copper wire and cut it into short lengths and add it to the melt .  This will change the alloy a little but the alloy can be hardned .  Also if you put the casting in an ove at 400 deg for several hours will make it less gummy.

      On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM, <wattcody@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I have been casting bar stock from 6061 aluminum cutoff pieces I have.
      When I machine the bar stock on the lathe, it never gets the nice shiny finish like real bar stock does. It is rather porous. Is there something I can do to get it to be more uniform and give a better finish when machined? Maybe degass or something?

      Thanks in advance!

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic