42899RE: Furnace build

  • rodney_grantham
    Oct 6, 2013

      Chuck

      The castable refractory for my tilting crucible furnace was purchased

      from Hebron Brick, which is a local brickworks. Also check with folks who

      repair and install fireplaces and furnaces. http://granthams.com/tilt/ shows

      a few photos of my furnace.

      I've noticed you on the Chaski site, so you have likely seen my video showing

      my furnace in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRszKI0OOgM . Once

      you've done a little casting, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

      Good luck

      Rod

      ---In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles.

      I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up.

      Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces.

      I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers.

      If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites.

      I cannot find even a boiler maintenance company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out.

      Chuck

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic