42895Furnace build

  • chucketn
    Oct 6, 2013

      my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles.

      I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up.

      Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces.

      I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers.

      If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites.

      I cannot find even a boiler maintenance company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out.

      Chuck

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic