      From: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter@...
      Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 2:31 PM
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      Rick,
      I have admired your group posts for a long time, too.
      Hobby groups getting together to build equipment is probably one of the best ideas going. What metal hobbies does Valley Metal get involved with? Perhaps, I could encourage another group-build to happen...

      I never actually intended to become a burner guru; just drifted into it. Alas, by the time Gas Burners was published, burner technology had worn permanent grooves in my head. My personal interests are much broader than burners; it's the equipment they fire that truly fascinates. Alas, burner questions come up far more than other equipment issues; perhaps because burners are the tools people worry over most.

      I would like to see more discussions of electric furnaces here, but have no way to encourage them. Unlike gas fired equipment, I don't see much information available about electrical hobby furnaces on the net, and this seems a shame, as they would lend themselves well to furnaces from coffee-can (at120V) to two gallon size (120V for aluminum to 240V copper based alloys).
      Mikey

      From: Rick Sparber

      From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

      Of flyasub

      Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-

      Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having recovered

      after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am now finding

      that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home workshop in one

      side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I thought up in the

      last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning stage with some

      projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body can keep up with my

      mind!

      I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity (for an

      all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and coreboxes for

      industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual casting.

      Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be

      careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from

      doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want to

      even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more

      sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!

      So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to use,

      whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening, anything

      which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw too much from

      my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you do), but possibly

      move on to bronze and even iron!

      No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads, but

      as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.

      PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,

      Will.

      ------------------------------------

      For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues this list does not accept

      attachments.

      For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these

      two affiliated sites:

      budgetcastingsupply.com/" target=_blank>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

      List Owner:

      owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...