      From: flyasub
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 20:00:12 -0000 (UTC)
      Subject: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-

      Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having

      recovered after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am

      now finding that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home

      workshop in one side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I

      thought up in the last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning

      stage with some projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body

      can keep up with my mind!

      I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity

      (for an all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and

      coreboxes for industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual

      casting.

      Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be

      careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from

      doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want

      to even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more

      sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!

      So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to

      use, whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening,

      anything which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw

      too much from my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you

      do), but possibly move on to bronze and even iron!

      No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads,

      but as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.

      PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,

      Will.