      From: Rick Sparber
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 17:20:04 -0000 (UTC)
      Subject: RE: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      Will,

      Welcome!

      I'm a retired EE and live in a neighborhood with a very strict Home Owner's

      Association. The neighbors I know are all very nice and would not mind if

      they knew I have a foundry but I've never met the people behind us.

      I too was concerned about being "found out" when I do casting. My solution

      was to go with an electric furnace. The power controller only switches on

      "zero crossings" to minimize any radio interference. It certainly helps that

      we have block walls around the backyard about 6' tall. I used to have a

      charcoal furnace and it would be hard to detect. I've been around used oil

      furnaces and they were smelly and loud. However, they sure do melt aluminum

      fast.

      I only cast aluminum although ZA-12 melts at a lower temperature so I'm sure

      I could do that too. No interest in bronze and certainly not iron.

      Not sure where you are in your journey but the Gingery series is a great

      place to start. I've built the drill press and shaper. No better way to

      learn and have fun to boot.

      Rick

      Rick.Sparber.org