      From: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of flyasub
      Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-
      Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having recovered
      after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am now finding
      that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home workshop in one
      side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I thought up in the
      last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning stage with some
      projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body can keep up with my
      mind!
      I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity (for an
      all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and coreboxes for
      industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual casting.
      Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be
      careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from
      doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want to
      even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more
      sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!
      So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to use,
      whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening, anything
      which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw too much from
      my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you do), but possibly
      move on to bronze and even iron!
      No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads, but
      as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.
      PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,
      Will.

      For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these
      two affiliated sites:

      List Owner: