42815Re: Finding my Way.

  • rogers92026
    Aug 2, 2013
      Welcome to the group, Will.

      I think that you have a leg up on me and a few others with your experience in making foundry patterns. There are lots of great people on this forum that will provide guidance on request and will help you solve a problem or two.

      Starting with aluminum is easy and is a great way to get into the hobby.

      Since you are concerned with possibly irritating your neighbors, you may want to consider using an electric kiln for melting the aluminum. It is somewhat slow, but it is noiseless and virtually odorless.

      I picked up a couple of kilns for either nothing or next to nothing on Craigs list. The free ones sometimes need new elements but that it generally pretty easy to fix. Also, a cheap/free electric kiln is a great way to get a whole bunch of K23 or K26 (2600 degree F) lightweight refractory bricks. I've been happily using an electric kiln for about 7 years with the intention of partially switching to propane ("when I get a round tuit").

      When I'm doing a casting session, I typically turn on the kiln and then ram up my pattern while it is heating. 45 minutes to an hour after turn-on I'm pouring. After my first melt, the subsequent melts can be done in about half the time. My favorite kiln is the smallest and only melts about 2.2 pounds of Al. The biggest kiln will accept full size aluminum car wheels for "hot-shorting" (breaking down).

      If you decide to go with a gas burner, there are several designs and some good books by Mike Porter (a member/author here).