42812Re: [hobbicast] Re: Tire tread as fuel?

  • StoneTool
    Jul 5, 2013
      Burning tires presents a unique problem......... The heat of the
      fire causes gassification of the rubber at a far faster rate than you
      can supply oxygen to burn the gasses. Supply oxygen (air), and the rate
      or gassification simply increases as the fire gets hotter....... the
      result is incomplete combustion and lots of smoke as we all know from
      having seen rubber burn

      The solution is fairly simple......... You burn in two stages.
      The first stage produces heat and gasses (smoke), and the second stage
      burns those gasses far enough away from the first stage that it doesn't
      contribute to the gassification process.

      A third and very viable alternative is to break down the tires with
      heat, but to condense the condensible gasses into a liquid to be burned
      later. Those gasses that will not condense are simply fed into the fuel
      stream that is being used to break down the rubber.

      This allows a very controllable combustion when you are using the
      heat for something like your metal casting, and allows you to batch
      process the rubber which for obvious reasons is preferable to firing up
      a rubber burner every time you need the heat.

      The non-consumable materials in tires is significant....... A lot
      of steel belting mainly.

      The logical way to "render" tires for combustion is with a
      hydraulic shear. Rotating blades don't work well due to the heat
      created. Sharp blades work very well.

      Interestingly, I once ran a Ford V8 on rubber vapor for about 15
      minutes just to prove that it could be done. I built a small chamber
      from a piece of pipe with one end welded in, and one that bolted on, and
      put cut up inner tubes in the chamber. One end had a pipe fitting and
      short steel line with a valve on the end. I heated the chamber with a
      weed burner to get the rubber to vaporize, and once I had a stream of
      vapor, I fed it into the top of the carb and started the engine,
      regulating the flow with the valve. A friend ran the weed burner, and
      made sure I had pressure, but not too much. I of course didn't have
      any load on the engine, but I ran it up to about 3000 on the tach, and
      held it there awhile, and moved up and down the range. The engine was
      sitting on the shop floor with water plumbed from a faucet for cooling
      as we often did with engines we were playing with. Needless to say, both
      doors were open so I had "flow thru ventilation" to avoid stinking the
      shop up. The exhaust smell didn't give any indication that rubber was
      the fuel.

      Howard