42797Drip oil pan furnace

  • germeten
    Jun 14, 2013
      Hi all.

      Last year I built a foundry/kiln in a small 20 gal garbage can, lined with fireclay & pearlite, with Fe/K-silicate hotface. The burner was also homemade and uses propane as a warmer and then about 2 liters of WVO per hour. I kept breaking pottery because is hard to control the heat; also difficult to keep going on just oil, despite filtering, the organics tend to clog the nozzle over time, and then makes stinky smoke. A neighbor across the alley called the fire dept who arrived in full regalia, with 4 cops.

      So I bought an electric kiln, but not before coming up with a oil drip-pan furnace that really kicks butt. A small circular hearth that contains the oil pan/bowl, rebar rods as horizontal supports for crucible or muffle, an inverted steel bucket with a hole in the top, lined like the first furnace. An askance hole in the hearth takes a steel pipe that feeds air in from a vacuum cleaner motor, governed by a fan motor speed controller. I've never run it full bore, even at half throttle the rotating flame exits out the top like a Cecil B DeMills pillar 2 feet tall, more like a laser, which led me to consider adding a second story bucket to the furnace.

      The point of this furnace was something small enough to fit in my living room fireplace to do experiments melting salts and small amounts of precious metals in the winter time. It's a tight fit,
      to lift covers, add material, etc. and things have to run to completion and fully cool before removal. Still I'm satisfied. I am sure this thing will melt glass and probably steel. I've only run it for 10 minutes, the outer shell gets pretty hot with only 1.5 inches
      of insulation.

      An alternative crucible stand might be a plinth block island in the center of the oil pan, or a verticle piece of ceramic pipe. I just thought I'd mention this design to see what you guys thought. Frankly I was glad to get away from the complexity of compressors, gas & oil burners.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic