      From: "David Patterson" <odd_kins@...>
      To: <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Damp molds ( observation and question)

      Nelson that's not even close to what we're talking about. Pouring metal into
      water has been done since before you were born.
      We're talking about a closed mold that has excess water in the sand. In the
      case I was refering to was an over wet drag, in just one area. the mold is
      pour fast and the moist sand covered quickly enough to not allow the steam
      to escape the mold fast enough to prevent the mold from exploding.
      With that in mind, is why I make only the molds I'm going to pour that day.

      Dave Patterson
      odd_kins@...
      http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

      From: Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:35 PM

      On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

      > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your
      > own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out
      > of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could
      > not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a
      > little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what
      > it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

      How do you know you have cast more years than I have wiped my nose? I am no
      newbie either. I too have poured on wet sand.

      But yeah water and molten metal are totally safe. No possibility of
      explosions. No one has ever been maimed or killed or anything. No need to be
      cautious.

      Get real.

      The reason why you have been able to pour on wet sand is because the a. sand
      helps, and b. there must have not been enough pressure built up. Confine
      some steam and you have serious danger.

      Sincerely,

      Jeshua Lacock
      Founder/Engineer