42708Re: Damp molds ( observation and question)

  • tmoranwms
    Mar 13, 2013
      Nelson,

      You, and people like you, are the reason behind a lot of problems:

      Safety is the number one reason industrial foundry equipment is so expensive. The company I work at does NOT build or sell melting furnaces. There is a sister company which does, and they literally mark up an identical product by 40%, just to cover legal fees. Because, for some reason, the very same people who make claims like yours, magically forget those claims when they literally blow up in their faces and start a lawsuit. So much for making a personal decision, eh?

      For the same reason, companies will not sell this type of equipment to the general public, even if someone wanted to pay the exorbitant cost for it.

      It is the same rationalization which smokers excuse their habit with. "Oh, it's a risk, but it's my choice, and I've accepted that risk." That's fine, you can kill yourself if you wish, but never tell someone else that taking a risk is fine. That is inexcusable and monstrous.

      The cost to society at large is considerable. If all those smokers, who made their personal decision, decided suddenly, "yeah, smoking IS bad" and stopped, average life expectancy will increase five years or so. And that means five more years of economic output and five more years of spending life with family and friends.

      And I'm not saying personal decisions shouldn't be made, I'm saying they are rarely, if ever, made with consideration of all those who are affected by it.

      The man who's missing a finger is a wise machinist. But the man with all fingers is the wisest machinist. Think about it.

      As for molds themselves, you can never be too careful. You're taking a risk with molten metal anywhere, and especially anywhere near moisture. A greensand mold is an inherent risk, and by lucky chance it's permeable enough to avoid disaster. Even so, they explode from time to time, due to excessive or misplaced moisture, stuff falling in and so on. I don't have experience with Petrobond and how permeable it is for oil and water vapors.

      Tim