42659Re: Alloying

  • Wonk
    Mar 1, 2013
      Howard, aren't you the one who brought up this subject?
      Mikey is correct it is time to actually melt an experiment and see for yourself what happens. That way the tread can end with you being knowledgeable on the question you asked. This has gone past remembering the question, what were you trying to make that you wanted a low melt copper or golden metal for?

      Wonk

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, StoneTool <owly@...> wrote:

      > Mikey
      > You are right of course........... I assumed that members had tried
      > this kind of thing. Putting a bit of copper into an aluminum melt
      > 1-10% is a far different thing from trying to dissolve 70% copper into a
      > crucible of molten aluminum a bit at a time. It is after all the
      > aluminum that is dissolving the copper into solution. There has to be
      > a saturation point. Normally as I understand it you melt the
      > primary metal and introduce the alloying components. Once copper
      > exceeds 50% you are dealing with a copper alloy, not an aluminum alloy.
      >

      > Howard
      >
      > On 03/01/2013 08:53 AM, michael.a.porter@... wrote:
      > > Howard,
      > > That's an interesting supposition. "At some point" covers a lot of ground; I think you'd need to run an experiment to prove or disprove. An experiment, would probably be cheaper than asking a metallurgist.
      > > Mikey

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic