      From: fred eisner <imsteamer21@...>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:50 AM
      Subject: RE: [hobbicast] need info on melting 660 bearing bronze

      hi rupertthanks for your infoi have a new never used graphite cruciblei know that i have to preheat it first and let it slowly cooli was wondering if the bronze will separate during meltingand the lead will burn offso i just mix it before pouring? i will be doing it outside so breathing the fumes will be at a minimum and i will wear protective gear and masksalso since im pouring ingots instead of castings ill be using this as a learning experiencethanks fred
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      From: rwenig2@...
      Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700

      Hello Fred,

      I'm not sure what you mean by the proper procedure to melt bronze.

      I find the main difference between melting aluminum and bronze is the

      melting temperature. 660 melts at around 1800F.

      Seehttp://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016&ckck=1>.

      You might need some superheat on top of the melt temp depending on the

      casting your pouring. I put a couple of tablespoons of Borax in the

      bottom of the crucible when I start the melt to help bring crud to the

      surface to be skimmed off before the pour. You will find that you get

      more smoke until any oils or grease has burnt off. You might get some

      zinc burn off if you get the temp too high. Best not to breath any of

      the fumes that might be given off. And, don't even think of melting

      bronze in a steel crucible as steel will be very weak at that temperature.

      Hope that answers your question.

      Rupert

      On 2/12/2013 2:26 PM, fred eisner wrote:

      > hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred

      > List Owner:

      > -----

      > No virus found in this message.

      yvt