      From: Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Re: Furnace temperature

      On Jan 4, 2012, at 2:25 AM, Carl wrote:

      > Ernie:I was hoping you has figured out a cheap "do it yourself" solution. I think what I might do is bury one of the cheaper thermocouples under a thin layer of refractory. That should give me a relative reading. Say if iron melts at a 2000 degree reading I will know the next time I need to heat to 2000 degrees again. It would also be useful to see how a change to the burner will change the temperature. Thanks Carl

      I think there is a low cost way to make one.

      As you may or may not know, a thermocouple is really just a multimeter. It measures the resistance of electrons through the probe which varies based on the temperature. Most descent multimeters also have a thermocouple mode.

      So you could make your own probe with a metal that can sustain the temperatures that you want to reach.

      Tungsten has a very high melting temperature. You might be able to use the filament of an incandescent light bulb for the probe. You might just need to calibrate the readings.

      If that doesn't work, I am sure a small snippet of platinum wire will cost magnitudes less than one being sold as a probe.

      You can pick up 2 feet of platinum/iridium wire for only $20 on eBay:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Iridium-80-20-002-wire-x-2-Feet-/300610714151?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fdcb7a27

      That would be enough for dozens of probes.

      In fact, look at what I just found:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Thermocouple-Wire-003-sold-inch-/290565720271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a71108cf

      "Platinum Thermocouple Wire" one inch for $1.75.

      Best,

      Jeshua Lacock
      Founder/Engineer
      3DTOPO Incorporated