      From: ferrman1001 <ferrman1001@...>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, January 2, 2012 10:19 PM
      Subject: [hobbicast] Furnace temperature

      I did a furnace temperature check while melting cast iron last week. The last casting I poured did not fill up the mold and when the casting was removed from the mold it became obvious why it did not fill up. In my rush to ram up the last mold the ingate was not cut properly and had a very small area so it restricted the flow into the casting cavity. The cast iron must have been very hot to flow through such a small ingate. If you have ever wondered about how hot it gets in a furnace watch the video. http://youtu.be/h3YXRl2LGMk Ernie