      From: ezme@... <ezme@...>
      Subject: [hobbicast] Re: Perhaps OT but you guys work with brass and copper
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, September 5, 2011, 7:22 PM

      Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I would not be able apply any of them. The object reqquiring blacking is fabricated from many pieces held together with either silver solder or soft solder, I am afraid to apply any heat. Also I am looking for really black finish. The good news is your replies did lead me to another approach. I am going to try ordinary black shoe polish. An experimental piece shows promise. Make the object as dark as possible with the Flemmish grey and brush on the black shoe polish. The result is a nearly black finish with a nice sheen, it also can tolerate some handling and is easy to touch up. Putting the shoe black on will mean that all painted lettering and decoration will have to be done first followed by the boot blacking. The polish shines up nicely with a sable paint brush. Durability is still a question mark, has any one any thoughts on how the boot polish will age?

      Mike