      From: David Patterson <odd_kins@...>
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:30:51 -0000 (UTC)
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] No Joy 3D

      You need to treat it like a piece of wood all the steps need to be sanded down paint with a filling primer until thepart is smooth. I have used .stl models for patterns and they can make some nice castings. thick wall .stl models may not be solid(some liquid inside) this would need to be drained and filled with an epoxy. Or request that the model be made solid.

      Dave Patterson
      odd_kins@...
      http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

      From: Rod <rodney_grantham@...>

      Subject: [hobbicast] No Joy 3D

      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Friday, July 9, 2010, 7:40 PM

      My attempt as making a casting from models created on a 3D printer were unsuccessful. The folks at uPrint were kind enough to send me samples of a couple models. There is a photo plus a closeup of the models in the photo's section <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobbicast/photos/album/738747855/pic/list> under Grantham. By using the 'change zoom level' in your browser you should be able to see the little jaggies that don't release cleanly from the sand.

      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Guess I'll have to stick with photopolymer for the time being.

      Rod