40469Re: No Joy 3D

  • oldstudentmsgt
    Jul 10, 2010
      You could try dipping it in wax, which would smooth (somewhat) that jagged surface. Or just burn out and investment cast them. Or maybe use a coarser sand, although then you'd have to do more finish machining...

      Cast them in vacuum or vibration packed loose sand as a lost-object casting? If the jaggies aren't a problem for your application in the finished product, that might work if the material will get lost properly.

      Good luck!

      Bill in OKC

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Rod" <rodney_grantham@...> wrote:

      > My attempt as making a casting from models created on a 3D printer were unsuccessful. The folks at uPrint were kind enough to send me samples of a couple models. There is a photo plus a closeup of the models in the photo's section <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobbicast/photos/album/738747855/pic/list> under Grantham. By using the 'change zoom level' in your browser you should be able to see the little jaggies that don't release cleanly from the sand.
      >
      > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Guess I'll have to stick with photopolymer for the time being.
      >
      > Rod

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic