39096Re: melting glass

  • oldstudentmsgt
    Nov 14, 2008
      About 30 years ago, I put a chicken pot pie in an aluminum foil pan
      in my monster Kenmore microwave, and set it for 10 minutes. It was on
      a glass dish. No preheating, frozen pot pie. I melted the bottom out
      of the glass dish, and filled my house with acrid black smoke, and
      irritated the heck out of my ex.

      Preheating is not necessary if your microwave is fairly powerful.

      Bill in OKC.

      BTW, you can melt glass with a propane torch, but most of the fancy
      glassblowers use oxy-acetylene.

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "kdurstine" <kdurstine@...> wrote:

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Clint D <driggars@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Kenny
      > > run into what? link?
      > > Clint
      > >
      > Hmmm, the link didn't make it.
      >
      > http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1004040/melt_a_frickn_beer_bottle/
      >
      > You might have to click on the advanced button for the video to
      play.

      > Apparently, once you get heat glass to the point where some of it
      is
      > dull red, it absorbs micrwave energy just fine. The video shows a
      guy
      > heating a beer bottle with a MAPP torch until a small part glows,
      > then zapping it in a microwave and melting a big hole in it. I
      think
      > I remember several years back some people discussing glass casting
      by
      > placing ground glass over a mold and then putting it in an oven,
      the
      > glass melts and then slumps into the mold.
      >
      > Kenny

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic