39094Re: [hobbicast] Re: melting glass

  • Rexarino
    Nov 13, 2008
      There are now microwave kilns for glass workers, used for small slumped and
      fused items like pendants.

      The Bullseye Glass gallery here in Portland has some really nice examples of
      glass castings done by the employees. My son and I toured it this afternoon
      for his birthday.

      Melting ground glass (frit) into a mold is one of many ways to shape glass.
      One thing I want to try is a "pot melt" where a bunch of varying colors of
      glass are stacked together in a raised clay pot, then heated in the kiln
      until the glass fuses and flows out of the pot - I've seen some very
      striking designs.

      rex