37622Re: Mobile Foundries...Does Anyone Have One?

  • Lyle
    Apr 2, 2007
      HW:
      I can post a photo of my pouring bench. My biggest mistake was to
      make it the same height as my molding bench thinking that I wouldn't
      have to bend over to place the molds. Just move them sideways onto
      the pour bench. Well, that works for aluminum but pouring 40 lbs of
      bronze with a one man shank you need it to be lower. The one good
      thing about my bench though is that it doubles as a welding bench by
      flopping a 1/4" piece of plate steel onto it.
      LL

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > My furnace is not of conventional design....... It uses a
      small winch
      > (hand crank) to lift the upper body..... this winch is a worm drive
      unit
      > and cannot freewheel. The furnace body is mounted to a carriage
      which
      > travels up a square tube post (2x2x.25). The carriage uses cable
      > pulleys as wheels.... fairly large pulleys (5") with bronze
      bushings
      > that run on 1/2" round rod welded to opposite corners of the square
      tube
      > to make a track. A very simple way of making accurate smooth
      tracking.
      > The furnace body is mounted in a manner that allows it to swing
      > the side on hinges completely away from the crucible leaving the
      > crucible standing completely in the open atop the plinth. The
      swing
      > away is the crucial design feature which allows you to do anything
      you
      > want with nothing in the way.... but also ensures that if you knock
      it
      > over it is going to spill molten metal all over the floor rather
      than
      > into the furnace base which has a low wall around it after the body
      is
      > lifted off..... this wall extends only slightly above the level of
      the
      > plinth.
      > The swing away system is designed in such a way that you
      cannot swing
      > it until the body is entirely clear of the crucible......and also
      so
      > that once it is swung at all it cannot come down as it is
      physically
      > blocked from coming down. There is absolutely no risk of dropping
      the
      > furnace body inadvertently....... none. Conventional tongs and
      pouring
      > shank work just as they would in an ordinary furnace except that
      you do
      > not have to lift the crucible up and out, just lift it an inch or
      so and
      > swing it over to set it in the pouring shank.
      >
      > The winter before last I built a large tilting furnace for an
      artist
      > friend...... I'm not sure how much aluminum it would contain but it
      > would be measured in gallons. This furnace is skid mounted but
      could
      > easily be mounted on wheels. I uses a steel crucible which is more
      or
      > less permanently attached..... made from seamless steel tubing with
      an
      > angle iron pour spout that ends at a point that does not change as
      the
      > furnace is tilted. The furnace uses a rammed plastic refractory
      base
      > and lid with stabilized KOwool above the "blast zone".
      Unfortunately
      > the lady took one look at the monstrosity...... she wanted
      BIG ..... and
      > said she could not pour molten metal without hand pouring from a
      > crucible, and that it was way too high off the floor to
      work........ We
      > had discussed the tilting design beforehand... but she is more than
      > little fickle. My intent was to have a molding bench / sand
      table /
      > pouring bench at a decent working height where the mold would rest
      which
      > would roll easily and smoothly on the concrete floor to position
      the
      > sprue(s) under the spout leaving a few inches of pour height.....
      and
> [...]
      > eventually to complete it for my own use....... It is capable of
      doing
      > some pretty large pours. It was my intent to do a crucible wash
      > extend crucible life....... the crucible is fairly thick
      steel....... I
      > wonder how long it will take to burn out.........
      > My thinking is that the bench would need to be adjustable
      height.....
      > not a real problem, and that the furnace would be intended to do
      > multiple pours on one heat...... I can imagine what shrinkage
      issues
      > would show up with very large single pours.
      > It's a shame that the furnace sits unfired........ someday!
      >
      > H.W.
      >
      > Lyle wrote:
      > > Your right but he was talking about a Johnson furnace. I've
      always
      > > been a little leary (and perhaps wrongly) about lift up body
      > > furnaces. Mental picture of taking the crucible out just as the
      body
      > > falls down onto the shank, crucible, etc. Of course, my lift out
      > > furnace necessitates my melt being about crotch high when I lift
      it
      > > out and the shanks lock but there's some danger there too. I've
      never
      > > seen any shanks like your talking about except for those bent
      > > lift/pour shanks that are used for smaller sized crucibles. ?They
      > > wouldn't work for larger sizes though. I use one on a number 4
      > > crucible I have for a little furnace.
      > > How do you get your lift out shank around the crucible on that
      lift
      > > body furnace? Usually they grab the crucible from the top...?
      > > LL
      > >
      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@> wrote:
      > >> The height of the furnace ceases to be an issue if you have one
      > > with a
      > >> lift off body rather than using a "lift out" crucible. Mine is
      on
      > > iron
      > >> wheels from some kind of farm implement..... about 18" diameter
      > > steel
      > >> spoke wheels actually, and the furnace body lifts clear of the
      base
      > > and
      > >> swings out of the way. A tilting furnace might also work well
      as a
      > >> mobile unit. The next upgrade must be a lift & pour tong that
      will
      > >> allow you to lift the crucible directly off the plinth and pour
      > > without
      > >> setting it in a pouring shank. I envision a steel ring that you
      > > drop
      > >> over the crucible first, and jaws that close around the lower
      > > portion.
      > >> The idea of dropping the ring over first is to reduce the risk
      of
      > >> tipping the works over. Anybody seen anything like this?

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic