37619Re: Mobile Foundries...Does Anyone Have One?

  • Lyle
    Apr 2, 2007
      Your right but he was talking about a Johnson furnace. I've always
      been a little leary (and perhaps wrongly) about lift up body
      furnaces. Mental picture of taking the crucible out just as the body
      falls down onto the shank, crucible, etc. Of course, my lift out
      furnace necessitates my melt being about crotch high when I lift it
      out and the shanks lock but there's some danger there too. I've never
      seen any shanks like your talking about except for those bent
      lift/pour shanks that are used for smaller sized crucibles. ?They
      wouldn't work for larger sizes though. I use one on a number 4
      crucible I have for a little furnace.
      How do you get your lift out shank around the crucible on that lift
      body furnace? Usually they grab the crucible from the top...?
      LL

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

      > The height of the furnace ceases to be an issue if you have one
      with a
      > lift off body rather than using a "lift out" crucible. Mine is on
      iron
      > wheels from some kind of farm implement..... about 18" diameter
      steel
      > spoke wheels actually, and the furnace body lifts clear of the base
      and
      > swings out of the way. A tilting furnace might also work well as a
      > mobile unit. The next upgrade must be a lift & pour tong that will
      > allow you to lift the crucible directly off the plinth and pour
      without
      > setting it in a pouring shank. I envision a steel ring that you
      drop
      > over the crucible first, and jaws that close around the lower
      portion.
      > The idea of dropping the ring over first is to reduce the risk of
      > tipping the works over. Anybody seen anything like this?
      >
      > H.W.
      >
      > Lyle wrote:
      > > I'll take a photo of my MIFCO 16 on a homemade cart that I've
      welded up.
      > > and post tonight. The biggest idea is to keep it as low as
      possible.
      > > LL
      > >
      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools"
      <too_many_tools@>
      > > wrote:
      > >> I have a Johnson foundry furnace that I would like to make
      mobile and
      > >> am looking for ideas as to how to build the foundry cart. I
      envision
      > >> having the furnace and supporting equipment on a cart where the
      > > foundry
      > >> can be used and then stored.
      > >>
      > >> Has anyone done this?
      > >>
      > >> If so, I would appreciate your advice and pictures of how you
      > >> implemented it.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks
      > >>
      > >> TMT

      > > List Owner: