      Posted by: "grantfair2001" grant.fair@... grantfair2001
      Date: Sat Sep 2, 2006 5:11 pm (PDT)

      Thanks for all the replies. I gather everyone thinks the best grog is
      no grog? <g>

      The suggestions that I just buy some refractory are tempting. Howver
      there is no local (Toronto) over-the-counter source of refractory, so
      we are talking about substantial transportation costs, so the
      refractory could cost up to $200 Can. Importing refractory from the
      states is even more costly. UPS charges for clearing customs can
      double the price of an item. I was just looking at some Sparlite25
      refractory on Ebay; the starting bid price was $29.00. The UPS
      standard cost to Canada for 70 pounds was about $50. That's before the
      customs clearing costs, as well as the taxes collected at the border.
      And 70 pounds only fills one cubic foot. I need two.

      [Searching for "castable refractory" and "Ontario" I came up with this

      Glasrock Products 268-274 South Service Rd
      Stoney Creek, ON , L8E 2N9
      Phone: 905-664-5300
      FAX: 905-664-5438
      E-Mail: glasrock@...

      I already have have 50 pounds of Kaolin, 50 pounds of white ball clay,
      and 50 pounds of Kyanite, plus a big pail of sawdust from Home Depot
      and a bag of much courser sawdust from a lumber mill up north. Total
      cost about $50.

      [Figure your cost to mix up and install this stuff, then add the cost of
      chipping it out and throwing it away...]

      If you search on "sawdust" in this conference you will find that
      Carlos made refractory from a similar recipe (except his grog was
      crushed insulating firebrick) and he found it left his furnace surface
      relatively low temperarature. The only drawback was shrinkage.

      [The crushed soft firebrick would make this mix lighter and less liable to
      shrink. Regular grog would not work as well.]

      I'm not suggesting the advice offered is wrong for others, just not
      where I am headed for the reasons outlined. If I screw up I will be
      the first to say you told me so <g>.

      [Do let us know...]

      Andrew Werby
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic