36016codeg 0.5 Beta released -- GCODE generator for CNC foam cutting.

  • Eric Poulsen
    Apr 4, 2006
      Cross posted to hobbicast and gingery_machines.

      I've been pursuing lost-foam casting recently, and I've discovered I
      don't have enough patience or a steady enough hand to use my hot-wire
      "band saw" when making patterns. I ended up building a simple CNC
      hot-wire foam cutter, utilizing EMC and some stepper motors I found on Ebay.

      Anyhow, I've found that there weren't any decent programs (not at least
      for linux) to convert DXF files to GCODE to control EMC, so I wrote my
      own. It's platform-independent, and should compile on most modern systems.

      I've successfully used it to cut foam patterns. The download site is:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/g-coder/

      [N.B. I know 'g-coder' is a commercial product -- I've submitted a
      project name change to sourceforge. The "correct" name is codeg.]

      Basic documentation:

      Codeg: A DXF to GCODE convertor
      Version 0.5.1 Beta
      Copyright 2006 Eric Poulsen. Released under the GPL.

      +---------------------+-------+-----------+------------------------------------+
      | Long | Short | Parameter |
      Desc |
      +---------------------+-------+-----------+------------------------------------+
      | --in | -i | infile | Input DXF
      file |
      | --out | -o | outfile | Output GCODE
      file |
      | --quadrant | -q | 1|2|3|4 | Quadrant
      normalization |
      | --max-line-segment | -m | float | Max line segment length for
      curves |
      | --x-lead | -x | float | X offset, inverted for quads
      2,3 |
      | --y-lead | -y | float | Y offset, inverted for quads
      3,4 |
      | --feed | -f | float | Feed
      rate |
      | --term-code | -t | string | GCODE termination
      code |
      | --dump | -d | none | Print
      points |
      | --version | -V | none | Show
      version |
      | --warranty | -W | none | Show
      warranty |
      | --license | -L | none | Show
      license |
      | --help | -h | none | This
      message |
      +---------------------+-------+-----------+------------------------------------+

      codeg is metric agnostic. It's unaware of inches, millimeters, etc. It
      simply treats coordinates as coordinates, and nothing more.

      --quadrant makes sure the resulting cut path is completely within the
      quadrant. Paths are also brought up against the origin lines. For
      example, with -q 2, the right-most point will be at X coordinate 0
      (zero), and the bottom most point will be a Y coordinate 0. A quadrant
      of zero has no effect on the position.

      --x-lead and --y-lead are relative to the quadrant. With -q 2, the -x
      option is inverted before being used. Essentially, when you specify a
      quadarant, positive values move away from the origin, and negative
      values move towards it. With no specified quadrant, these values are
      used normally -- i.e. negative X values move the object to the left.

      --max-line-segment defaults to 0.01. Making this number smaller will
      dramatically increase GCODE size for curves.

      --term-code defaults to M2 (end program). If you specify a single
      percent sign (%) as the code, then a percent code is placed alone on the
      very first and very last line of the output file.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic