35062Re: Re: expandable polystyrene - mold making?

  • Chris Reynolds
    Aug 1, 2005
      there is some really good information along with a
      good video clip of the whole process at
      www.lostfoam.com

      One of the engineers I work with used to be in the
      lost foam industry and made tooling and molds for foam
      casting pattern molding.

      Chris

      > Subject: Re: expandable polystyrene - mold making?
      >
      > Closed cell styrene foam, the type that is used to
      > make surfboard
      > blanks is very easy to work with and not so messy,
      > but Im not sure
      > if its suitable for what we do.
      > Has anyone used closed cell styrene foam ?
      >

      > Bob
      >

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bailey
      > <cbailey73160@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > slightly off topic here, but take a look at this
      > site. I wonder
      > if any of this would be good for
      > > making molds or patterns from??
      > >
      > > <http://www.shopmaninc.com/index.html>
      > >

      > > --- lance dulak <lancedulak@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Im not sure but there are two different kinds.
      > One is
      > > > two part and probably polyurethane. I know
      > theres
      > > > another kind (the kind i was actually looking
      > for)
      > > > that is air activated. You pour it in an
      > enclosed area
      > > > of a boat and it expands. Im pretty sure that
      > stuff is
      > > > polystyrene but >Im not certain<<

      > so, I

      http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?

      storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=28029