34437Re: [hobbicast] Re: reverberatory furnace

  • lance dulak
    Apr 3, 2005
      LOoks fantastic to me. Wish i'd tried that.
      Theres no reason to direct the exhaust vent upwards.
      Hot gas is perfectly happy to exit sideways. In mine
      the exhaust vent was a couple of Very small tubes in
      the side at the opposite end that exited horizontally
      at the parting line. Their total Area slightly
      exceeded the intake vents size. The reason i did that
      was because i wanted heat to remain in the top. I
      really like that design.

      --- Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

      > lance:
      > I placed a rough sketch of the gravy boat layout in
      > Hobbycast1. The
      > dike I spoke of before really is just an area level
      > with the part line
      > of the furnace.... the blast port / pour spout is
      > divided between the
      > upper and lower halves... mostly in the upper half.
      > The curved hanging
      > wall is just shown as a line, but in reality would
      > have considerable
      > material in it, and would be flush with the part
      > line and part of the
      > upper half only, or preferably it would extend
      > downward a bit. On the
      > blast side of the hanging wall is a relief area so
      > that exhaust can find
      > it's way to the downward pointing exit. Needless to
      > say, some features
      > would be required underneath to direct the hot
      > exhaust back upward.
      > The furnace would be fired in a level position. It
      > would be tilted to pour.
      >
      > H.W.
      >
      > lance dulak wrote:
      > > That sounds WAY better than my design actually.
      > Though
      > > i wouldnt put the "bridge" in. Its going to be
      > very
      > > hard to pour evenly if you do that and the al will
      > get
      > > trapped.
      > >
      > > --- Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >>Lance:
      > >> What I am currently envisioning is a "gravy boat"
      > >>shape with the flame
      > >>port and pour spout being the same point, and the
      > >>exhaust port directed
      > >>downward right next to it... The pour spout angled
      > >>to direct the blast
      > >>along one wall of the top piece, and a partial
      > >>"hanging wall" along the
      > >>other side to direct the swirling blast back
      > across
      > >>and around the dome
      > >>keeping the blast inside the furnace as long as
      > >>possible before it finds
      > >>it's way down and out the near vertical exhaust
      > >>port. The burner/blower
      > >>assembly would be removed of course to tilt and
      > >>pour. A raised ridge /
      > >>dike would prevent molten metal from exiting
      > through
      > >>the exhaust hole.
      > >>The whole thing would form kind of a pear shape
      > with
      > >>a split along the
      > >>middle.
      > >>
      > >> H.W.

      > in
      > >>
      > >>the

      > >>and

      > >>but

      > that
      > >>
      > >>isn't

      > >>crucible

      > >>Join the fun.
      > >>

      >>http://www.advision.webevents.yahoo.com/emoticontest

      > issues

      > >>discussions

      > >>For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues
> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic