32669Re: Aluminum Supply

  • Charles
    Nov 1, 2004
      Thanks a lot for the info. I didnt mean to sound.. "know it all" or
      rude or anything. I just know (as you do better than i it seems)
      that people have actually done it and had lifechanging results.
      Magnesium + fire is dangerous dangerous stuff.

      On the other hand now that you've told me this i might call up some
      tire changing shops etc for their scrap al wheels. But then again im
      still dreaming of finding a machine shop that still dumps its scrap
      and has a dumpster near the road and not heavily police patrolled
      *grin*

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Paradis" <eparadis@a...> wrote:

      > Hi Charles, as far as the alloy wheels are concerned, I've melted
      > about 5 or so, all of different makes. I've not found any
      Magnesium
      > in any of them. The wheels ranged from what I consider as "High
      > Dollar" from a wrecked corvette wheel (still had the logo on it
      when
      > I pulled it out of the dumpster, and somebody's dad was probably
      > really pissed that their son ran it into the curb at a high rate
      of
      > speed) all the was down to "third party aftermarket" wheels. I
      did
      > both the "acid" test and torching a sliver before melting them, it
      > came back negative on both accounts. The sliver test involves
      > shaving a sliver off of the wheel and then putting a torch to it
      > see if it lights off with a beautiful bright white light, and the
      > acid test is putting a drop of muratic acid on the spot you just
      > shaved off (clean metal) and look for immediate
      bubbling/reacting. I
      > use my "Turkey Fryer" burner to heat them up to hot-shot temp,
      then
      > throw them into a large wash bucket and whackalate with a 3lb.
      > drilling hammer. They usually crumble into quite usable size
      > pieces. It takes a little while with the mass of the wheel, but
      > eventually everything gets heated nicely and falls apart. I've
      > averaged about 20lbs. or so per wheel of nice ingots after using
      this
      > process.
      >
      > Ed
      > "Expiring minds want to know!"
      >

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lancedulak@y...>
      wrote:

      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@a... wrote:
      > > >

      > > > In a message dated 10/31/2004 5:31:15 PM Pacific Standard
      Time,
      > > > gene98329@c... writes:
      > > >
      > > > now back
      > > > to thinking on how to melt a car wheel without breaking it up!
      > > >

      > > > The trick I have heard is to dig a hole, fill it with charcoal
      > > and get it
      > > > going with a bit of air flow. Then roast the wheel in the fire
      > > until it gets
      > > > brittle. Then hit it with a sledge. It should not shatter like
      > > glass but rather
      > > > break like warm plastic. I have used this technique on large
      hard
      > > drive
      > > > cases but not with something as big as a wheel.
      > > >
      > > > Rick Sparber
      > > >
      > > > rgsparber@A...
      > > > my website: rgsparber.fifthprime.com
      > >
      > > What kind of wheel are you talking about? I assumed you were
      > > attempting to melt a steel wheel for some reason. If its
      > > an "aluminum" wheel... DONT. Most "aluminum" wheels are
      magnesium
      > > alloys. And magnesium burns HOT. In other words you could end up
      > > with the mother of all unquenchable fires. And hitting it with a
      > > sledgehammer.. flying molten anything is scary scary scary stuff.
      > >
      > > Have yo uthoguht of finding a friend with a log splitter? My
      > brother
      > > just bought one (he actively searches for things to waste money
      on)
      > > and im planning on hauling some transmission casings etc to his
      > > house soon hehe.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic