32660Re: Aluminum Supply

  • Ed Paradis
    Nov 1, 2004
      Hi Charles, as far as the alloy wheels are concerned, I've melted
      about 5 or so, all of different makes. I've not found any Magnesium
      in any of them. The wheels ranged from what I consider as "High
      Dollar" from a wrecked corvette wheel (still had the logo on it when
      I pulled it out of the dumpster, and somebody's dad was probably
      really pissed that their son ran it into the curb at a high rate of
      speed) all the was down to "third party aftermarket" wheels. I did
      both the "acid" test and torching a sliver before melting them, it
      came back negative on both accounts. The sliver test involves
      shaving a sliver off of the wheel and then putting a torch to it to
      see if it lights off with a beautiful bright white light, and the
      acid test is putting a drop of muratic acid on the spot you just
      shaved off (clean metal) and look for immediate bubbling/reacting. I
      use my "Turkey Fryer" burner to heat them up to hot-shot temp, then
      throw them into a large wash bucket and whackalate with a 3lb.
      drilling hammer. They usually crumble into quite usable size
      pieces. It takes a little while with the mass of the wheel, but
      eventually everything gets heated nicely and falls apart. I've
      averaged about 20lbs. or so per wheel of nice ingots after using this
      process.

      Ed
      "Expiring minds want to know!"

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <lancedulak@y...> wrote:

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@a... wrote:
      > >

      > > In a message dated 10/31/2004 5:31:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      > > gene98329@c... writes:
      > >
      > > now back
      > > to thinking on how to melt a car wheel without breaking it up!
      > >

      > > The trick I have heard is to dig a hole, fill it with charcoal
      > and get it
      > > going with a bit of air flow. Then roast the wheel in the fire
      > until it gets
      > > brittle. Then hit it with a sledge. It should not shatter like
      > glass but rather
      > > break like warm plastic. I have used this technique on large hard
      > drive
      > > cases but not with something as big as a wheel.
      > >
      > > Rick Sparber
      > >
      > > rgsparber@A...
      > > my website: rgsparber.fifthprime.com
      >
      > What kind of wheel are you talking about? I assumed you were
      > attempting to melt a steel wheel for some reason. If its
      > an "aluminum" wheel... DONT. Most "aluminum" wheels are magnesium
      > alloys. And magnesium burns HOT. In other words you could end up
      > with the mother of all unquenchable fires. And hitting it with a
      > sledgehammer.. flying molten anything is scary scary scary stuff.
      >
      > Have yo uthoguht of finding a friend with a log splitter? My
      brother
      > just bought one (he actively searches for things to waste money on)
      > and im planning on hauling some transmission casings etc to his
      > house soon hehe.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic