32650Re: Aluminum Supply

  • Charles
    Nov 1, 2004
      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "gene98329" <gene98329@c...> wrote:

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@a... wrote:
      > components you could be in for some good quality
      > > scrap. Any commets.

      > > If by cuttings you mean swarf, I think you will find that it
      > makes great
      > > aluminum oxide but awful ingots. Even when packed into dense
      > blocks, the stuff
      > > does more oxidation than melting. Chunks of solid aluminium
      works
      > great.
      > >
      > > Rick
      >
      > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      >
      > Rick is correct that the swarf doesn't make good ingots on its
      own,
      > but if added in small quanities to a pot full of molten AL it
      works
      > OK. I often use my swarf and even an occasional aluminum can to my
      > melt just to get rid of that scrap. Yes I do have some dross to
      deal
      > with but find that I can squeeze most of the good metal out with a
      > special set of squeezing tongs I made. Whats left is then put into
      > opened cans to be sent to the commerical scrapper in recycle
      stuff.
      > The commerical guys can melt that stuff in large enough quanities
      > that it seems not to make much dross,. Not sure if they add
      > something to the melt to prevent it?
      > I do like melting pre cast ingots or larger chunks though- now
      back
      > to thinking on how to melt a car wheel without breaking it up!
      >
      > cheers Gene

      Melting a car wheel hmm..
      Thoguht about designing your own "oddshaped cupola"? As cheap as my
      charcoal furnace was to make ive been thinking lately its silly not
      to make special ones for special uses. Like a very narrow, tall
      cupola shaped charcoal or propane furnace. I think one might be
      able to melt small amounts of iron in a reasonable time?
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic