31367Re: Oil Bonded sources and recipe link

  • Roy
    May 5, 2004
      I biuy all my foundry products locally in Birmingham Alabama, and
      mainly at Perry Supply or other places. If your paying 75 bucks a
      hundred for olivine your getting the shaft big time. 10 or 12 bucks a
      100 MAX.

      Petro Bond is petro BOnd.BSC petrobond is already mixed and ready to
      use, no mulling required, dump it out of the container and ram it.
      Your paying for foks to mix it and pack it, so the price if higher,
      miuch higher. Sooner or later your gonna have to remull it unless you
      like a medioocre mix of sand and lots of hand work that is just not
      going to compare with a thrown together muller. Mullers need not be
      fancy, just funcional.

      Bentone is not PB, and Bentone is higher than PB resin.

      If you buy or go looking for PB resin make sure you get the PB2 resin
      as it does not require addition of a catylyst. The more ingredients
      you have to fool with the more messing around you have when it comes
      to rejuvinating it. It can be done and is done, but less ingredients
      to me is an asset for something that works as fine as PB2 does.

      Not too many suppliers sell ready mixed PB, as folks that keep them
      in business are foundries, and foundries have mullers....... It would
      take less than 10 minutes to whip up a 100# batch of PB. IMHO,
      premixed / packaged PB may be suuitable for those that only need 40
      or 50 pounds of the stuff, but to be honest most rerquire more, so
      you would have a small fortune spent to acquire say 500 pounds of
      sand which in all reality is not a lot of sand by any means. A 5 fal
      bucket is better than 50 pounds worth of PB without it being ramed!

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "jamonyou69" <jamowie@h...> wrote:
      > I just got a quote for olivine sand: $75 for 100 lbs. pick up only!
      > The price you got PB2 for is 1/3 the price of bentone. Where did
      you
      > get it, if you don't mind me asking. I believe the sand you got
      from
      > Atlanta, at least that's what I gathered from your web site. It
      > would be a great help to find a reasonable sourse of organoclay.
      >
      > Jam
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic