26979Re: The bad and ugly, not so much good :(

  • viscoyl
    Jun 2, 2003
      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Thompson" <thom1486@b...>
      wrote:
      > If you attach the riser with gates, the gates need to be large so
      they don't solidify before the casting. I always thought risers went
      on the thick sections of the part.

      > Ron Thompson
      > On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
      > USA

      Yes, they are supposed to. As I said, if I was doing it again, I
      would put two risers at the heavy end and gate into them. I cast mine
      about 15 years ago when I knew less about such things than today, and
      the first attempt had a big shrink area at the intersection of the
      base and the r. end. I don't know if it would have seriously affected
      the strength of the casting, but it didn't look good.
      Mike.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic