      From: Chris Boyer
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 11:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Re: The bad and ugly, not so much good :(

      See below

      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Boyer" <boyercl@a...> wrote:
      > > Well I updated my latest attempt at the headstock casting. Didn't
      > get the carriage done. BIG headache, still have it.
      > >
      > > Its on its own page now under Gingery Lathe - headstock. Will try
      > 1 more time. Open for suggestions on how to stop the shrink !!!
      > ARGH !!!! and other words I bet you can figure out ;).
      > > Some wanted more pictures of molds rammed and set up. I didn't get
      > them done either.
      > > Hope tomorrow is better. Have some AL wheels tranny and misc
      > engine parts coming. NO, not quite free. I have to take the truck
      > apart to get them and I believe I got suckered into replacing rear
      > wheel bearings in a T-Bird ??
      > >
      > > http://users.adelphia.net/~boyercl/hobbies.htm
      > > Chris (CB)
      > I had to cast the headstock twice to get a good part back when I
      > built my lathe. Some of Gingery's molding methods seem questionable
      > to me, but anyway, I eliminated the shrink at the r. end of the
      > headstock by using a 1 1/2" dia. riser at each corner. This is
      > probably overkill, if I was doing it again I would use two risers at
      > the right end only, and gate into both risers.
      > Mike.

      If I under stand correctly there were 4 risers? How big was the headstock?
      Mine is about twice the AL as in the book. I know the risers go to the
      casting. Did you connect the risers together as well? How big were the
      gates?

      1.5" spru is in the plan and at least 1 riser on each end. Hmm might have
      to go 2 risers on the heavy end? I was using about 1/2" deep x 3/4" gates
      about 1.5" from the casting.

      Thanks Chris

      ---

      This list is for discussion of metal casting
      and does not accept attachments. For off topic discussion and to share photos and stuff: join Sandcrabs by sending a blank message to: sandcrabs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      or join the Coffee Lounge group (by approval)

      For problems that cannot be otherwise solved contact the list owner by email: