26960Re: The bad and ugly, not so much good :(

  • viscoyl
    Jun 1, 2003
      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Boyer" <boyercl@a...> wrote:
      > Well I updated my latest attempt at the headstock casting. Didn't
      get the carriage done. BIG headache, still have it.

      > Its on its own page now under Gingery Lathe - headstock. Will try
      1 more time. Open for suggestions on how to stop the shrink !!!
      ARGH !!!! and other words I bet you can figure out ;).
      > Some wanted more pictures of molds rammed and set up. I didn't get
      them done either.
      > Hope tomorrow is better. Have some AL wheels tranny and misc
      engine parts coming. NO, not quite free. I have to take the truck
      apart to get them and I believe I got suckered into replacing rear
      wheel bearings in a T-Bird ??

      > http://users.adelphia.net/~boyercl/hobbies.htm
      > Chris (CB)

      I had to cast the headstock twice to get a good part back when I
      built my lathe. Some of Gingery's molding methods seem questionable
      to me, but anyway, I eliminated the shrink at the r. end of the
      headstock by using a 1 1/2" dia. riser at each corner. This is
      probably overkill, if I was doing it again I would use two risers at
      the right end only, and gate into both risers.
      Mike.