Re: Hmong in Kansas

  • poelee40
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2011
      Poe:

      The 2010 census total in Kansas was 1,732. I will post city-specific totals for Kansas when I get hold of them.

      Mark Pfeifer

      Hi Joshua Xiong, my name is Poe Lee from Sacramento, CA. I would like to what is the exactly total Hmong population in the state of Kansas or the cities of Kansas City and Overland Park, KS

      Is possible that can you give your phone #, so that I can get hold of you or get touch you.

      Sincerely your,

      Poe Lee
    • joshua x
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
        Hello,

        In the city of Kansas City, KS there are 1,355 Hmong according to the 2010 census. Overland park is still small with a popluation of 61 according to the 2010 census but the county of Johnson County has grown to 195.

        In the Kansas City KS-MO Metro Area there are 1,754 Hmong according to the 2010 census with 1,599 living on the Kansas side and 155 on the Missouri side.

        But this number is still disputed as their were many non-respondants and the Hmong Church. The Hmong Churches in Kansas City can be used as a base for this example. For example their are 5 Hmong churches in Kansas City and around 1,500 - 1,600 members total. The pastors and other community leaders believe their are still 60-70 known families who still pratice the traditional religion. This number of 60-70 families is known because many of the Christian families still have families who still pratices the traditional religion in the Kansas City region.

        We have an Hmong association here in Kansas (Hmong American Inc) that may be able to give a better insight on this topic than I can.

        Thanks,

        Joshua Xiong
        joshxyooj@...

        --- In hmongstudies@yahoogroups.com, "poelee40" <poelee40@...> wrote:

        > Poe:
        >
        > The 2010 census total in Kansas was 1,732. I will post city-specific totals for Kansas when I get hold of them.
        >
        > Mark Pfeifer
        >

        > Hi Joshua Xiong, my name is Poe Lee from Sacramento, CA. I would like to what is the exactly total Hmong population in the state of Kansas or the cities of Kansas City and Overland Park, KS
        >
        > Is possible that can you give your phone #, so that I can get hold of you or get touch you.
        >

        > Sincerely your,
        >

        > Poe Lee

      • joshua x
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
          This is something new that just came out today.

          According to the 2010 ACS 3-year estimates Hmong Alone population in Kansas is 2,296.