Should a Hmong Wikipedia be started?

  • whisper.world
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2010
      As a Wikipedia editor I have noticed that many, many languages have their own dedicated Wikipedias and other Wikimedia projects. They not only include major world languages like English, French, and Spanish, but they also include more regional languages and area native languages like Somali, Pashtun, Nahuatl, and Luxembourgish.

      So far, however, there is not yet a Hmong Wikipedia.

      Consider the previous proposal to create a Hmong Wikipedia: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Hmong - I would suggest the Hmong community to consider the previous proposal and the arguments, and then craft a new proposal that will be approved.

      It would be helpful for the Hmong people to have (a) Wikipedia(s) in their native language(s).
    • Yang S. Xiong

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2010
          Hi! I contacted the person who locked the page and the Meta discussion board to ask if the page should be unlocked and/or if there should be a new venue of discussion.

          See:
          * http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babel#Hmong_Wikipedia_proposal_page
          * http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:GerardM#Hmong_Wikipedia_proposal

          There are some new posts at the http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Hmong page - I am working on getting a solution for new posters interested in the issue

          - WhisperToMe

          --- In hmongstudies@yahoogroups.com, "Yang S. Xiong" <ysxiong07@...> wrote:

          > It looks like the discussion linked page is locked for further editing? Can
          > somebody/the OP explain what steps to take if somebody wants to participate
          > in the debates?
          >
          > "This page has been locked to prevent editing."
          >
          > YSX
          >

          > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM, whisper.world <whisper.world@...>wrote:
          >

          > > As a Wikipedia editor I have noticed that many, many languages have their
          > > own dedicated Wikipedias and other Wikimedia projects. They not only include
          > > major world languages like English, French, and Spanish, but they also
          > > include more regional languages and area native languages like Somali,
          > > Pashtun, Nahuatl, and Luxembourgish.
          > >
          > > So far, however, there is not yet a Hmong Wikipedia.
          > >
          > > Consider the previous proposal to create a Hmong Wikipedia:
          > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Hmong- I would suggest the Hmong community to consider the previous proposal and
          > > the arguments, and then craft a new proposal that will be approved.
          > >
          > > It would be helpful for the Hmong people to have (a) Wikipedia(s) in their
          > > native language(s).

        • whisper.world
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2010
            Okay - the administrator wants people contributing to the page to sign up.

            It is a matter of registering for a new account. Once you get an account, you may begin discussing the idea :)

            - Whisper

            --- In hmongstudies@yahoogroups.com, "Yang S. Xiong" <ysxiong07@...> wrote:

            > It looks like the discussion linked page is locked for further editing? Can
            > somebody/the OP explain what steps to take if somebody wants to participate
            > in the debates?
            >
            > "This page has been locked to prevent editing."
            >
            > YSX
            >

            > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM, whisper.world <whisper.world@...>wrote:
            >

            > > As a Wikipedia editor I have noticed that many, many languages have their
            > > own dedicated Wikipedias and other Wikimedia projects. They not only include
            > > major world languages like English, French, and Spanish, but they also
            > > include more regional languages and area native languages like Somali,
            > > Pashtun, Nahuatl, and Luxembourgish.
            > >
            > > So far, however, there is not yet a Hmong Wikipedia.
            > >
            > > Consider the previous proposal to create a Hmong Wikipedia:
            > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Hmong- I would suggest the Hmong community to consider the previous proposal and
            > > the arguments, and then craft a new proposal that will be approved.
            > >
            > > It would be helpful for the Hmong people to have (a) Wikipedia(s) in their
            > > native language(s).

          • whisper.world
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 2010
              Alright, because the consensus is to establish a Wikipedia in White Hmong (MWW)...

              The first articles for the project need to be written at the Wikimedia Incubator - That is located at http://incubator.wikimedia.org

              The Wiki interface translation needs to be done at http://translatewiki.net

              Once the interface is done and once there is a sizable collection of articles, the content will be transferred to http://mww.wikipedia.org

              If you need any help with this, please respond to my message and I will try to get more specific instructions.

              Thank you,
              Whisper
            • whisper.world
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 26, 2010
                Ladies and gentlemen, as per http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Hmong_Daw , the incubator for the Hmong Daw Wikipedia is now ready to accept contributions.

                Please let members of the Hmong community know that they are welcome to begin adding articles in Hmong Daw.

                Thank you,
                Whisper