Re: [hmongstudies] JOB: 2010-2011 Visiting Assistant Professor in Hmong Studies at the University

  • Chimtaglos_UaSiabntevnawb
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010

      thank you, I was to believe that because of the arise of the Dr McCoy, Dr Kaplan and the naming of the school issues in the city of Madison and the university, such that the Hmong community at large had met with the chancellor more than often and the chancellor himself had come to meet with the community to precipitate this seeking funds for such program “Hmong Studies Program.”  I don’t get it that such program call hmong studies program that does not even teach related story to Hmong American of their past and current issues, but it would teach about other hmong people around the world—such that the most arise issues and concerns were based solely here in the states, especially right here in madison.

      do explain to me, so this so call “hmong studies program” does not even teach the history, present, and future history of hmong people here in America?  no wonder, there are so much struggles and hatred among us out there.

      thanks in advance,

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2010
        Some articles on this (this is not a Hmong American Studies tenure track):

        Community's take on it:

        Hope this is helpful to you.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2010

          Thank you, I saw those articles and read them.  So, it meant that this so called "hmong studies program" at the university does not include hmong-american.  why such title for the program, such that it is not even an expert for the hmong here in the states.  what is the different between hmong people?

          without the hmong people here in the states and the one who were taking on the university for the last few arise issues. there would never be a program...i still dont get it that why it called "the hmong studies program", and then it does not even reflect of the hmong people here in the states.  without us here in the states, there would never be a study of hmong people, don't you agree?

          well, i just want to give my opinion for this--as hmong people always said, " npua tshom rau dev noj xwb."

          best of luck for the search...

          Message 4 of 8 , May 25 12:45 PM
            I have refrained from commenting on this matter but will now do so.

            I think this whole matter shows that the Luce Foundation is rather unfortunately (in my view) solely focused in its Asia Studies grantgiving on the largest institutions as opposed to the institutions or initiatives perhaps making the strongest impact in a field like Hmong Studies. As an example, they have had no interest in supporting the Hmong Studies Journal even though the journal over the years has published papers from most of the active scholars in the field. Luce can do whatever it wants with its money but as the one of the only foundations that does make alot of grants in the area of Asia Studies scholarship, the foundation's decisions do have the potential to make a positive impact.

            Mark Pfeifer

            Message 5 of 8 , May 25 8:44 PM
              Mark,

              I do not question its grant and the purposes that will impact the hmong community at-large in the states. however, i question the nature of the selection and its direction of the university-- since, the university already hired a tenure professor who would be teaching the "hmong studies program." the so called "hmong studies program" does not include the natural history courses of the hmong-american here in the states.  that is the very reason that i don't get it, such that the university still needs a limitted term (visiting) professor who has greater knowledge, experience and expertise about hmong-american to teach these history courses. shall the hired tenure professor already  have these skills to do so?

              thank you, and above is my opinion and belief as it should be.

              Chuck